The hospital has grown from a Cottage Hospital donated by a Teddington Resident to a Memorial Hospital that was built, managed, and maintained with funds raised from the community until the inception of the NHS in 1948. At this point, the hospital was taken over by the NHS and subsequently became subject to several changes of management until it became a separate NHS Trust in 1993.
During this period it was at risk of closure on several occasions, most notably in 1983, when the League organised a 24-hour candlelit vigil and with the active support of the then local MP, Mr Toby Jessel, managed to win a reprieve for the hospital.
In 2002 the Hospital became part of the newly formed Richmond and Twickenham Primary Care Trust who became responsible for the hospital’s management. From April 2013, following the latest NHS reorganisation the PCT ceased to exist and the hospital was transferred to Hounslow and Richmond Community Healthcare NHS Trust.
The hospital has always been at the heart of the community, providing local health services, and has enjoyed enormous support from the local population. Had it not been for the profound loyalty and generosity of many people, the hospital would certainly not be here today. It has seen many changes and been threatened with closure or truncated services many times. Fortunately, it has been able to withstand all efforts that would have deprived the local community of its hospital.