The League was formed in 1954 as a joint league with two other hospitals. In 1981 it became a separate charity (number 283599) as The League of Friends of Teddington Memorial Hospital and has worked continuously since then to improve facilities and equipment at the hospital.
In 2009 the Trustees decided to review the League’s 27 year old governing document (constitution) with a view to updating it in order to:
- Better meet current and future needs.
- Improve the League’s ability to cope with on-going NHS changes.
- Widen the League’s scope of activities.
On the 30th September 2009 at an extraordinary general meeting of its members, the League of Friends became an Incorporated Organisation (a company limited by guarantee) registered at Companies House with a number of 06956467. At the same time The League of Friends of Teddington Memorial Hospital was registered with the Charity Commission as registered charity 1130645.
Following the registration of the new charity, the old charity was merged with it so that donations or bequests made to the old charity could be transferred to the new one without requiring the Charity Commision to approve each transfer.
Financial information about the League of Friends will be found at the Charity Commission’s website.